Saturday, September 6, 2014

An Ode to My Fortress of Solitude

They're showing my apartment this week. Living alone has its perks. And by perks I mean not wearing pants around the house, and cleaning on my own schedule, not anyone elses' timetable.

I get weirded out by having strangers rambling through my former apartments. It means that I have to tidy up, and also be out of the apartment, even when all I want to do is hold my couch down for the evening. What do they touch? What do they inspect? Oh crap, should I check what's in my own fridge? Gah!!!

I've liked this apartment more than any other I've had. It truly felt like a fortress of solitude.

Oh, Fortress of Solitude
You were airtight and warm in the coldest winter I've ever endured.
You were cool and airy - no A/C needed - all through the summer.
You sit at the nexus of my loves of nature, cycling, and Metro Transit.
Your parking spot was a blessing, now I ponder using you as outdoor living space with a patio set.
You were the place where I perfected my Szechuan Eggplant recipe.

Telling my landlords that I wouldn't be renewing my lease started my momentum towards the leap.

I'm escaping my Fortress of Solitude.

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment