Friday, October 3, 2014

A New Lens On Life

I went to the eye doctor yesterday. At 29, my prescription hasn't changed - wahoo! That's great news.
Earlier in the week, I heard from the nurse practitioner that it's not advisable to get Lasik done before going to travel in high altitude locales. It can make your eyes do funny (re: unfunny) things, and I don't wanna mess with my eyes.

2 things I learned though:

  • I don't like getting my eyes dilated. Makes it hella hard to bike home. 
  • The mark-up on eye glass frames are INSANE! Funny story, that they only had these navy plastic Nicole Miller frames. I asked to see if they had any other colors. The girl checked their inventory and it was a no go. She then googled the classes, and would up on the Nicole Miller website. There were 3 non-prescript sunglasses color options for - get this - $39.99. Whoa, what a good deal I think to myself. So I have her write down the name and style number for me. Then I can look elsewhere for myself. She hands me the post-it with AN INSANE figure on it. $349 for the frames. FOR THE FRAMES ALONE. I could barely contain my gasp.
Once I get home (it was rough going and I know know first hand why you don't often see blind people on bikes), I put my thinking cap on. I googled online eye glasses, and found a great list from LifeHacker on the Top 5 Eyeglass Sites

I had never bought glasses online before.
I ended up checking out Warby Parker, EyeBuy Direct and Coastal.

Warby Parker and Coastal will ship you frames to try on - that's a plus.
Warby Parker seems to only have the hipster-y, plastic frame jobbers without nose-pads. I need nose pads.
Side note: I have no bridge to my nose. As my step-dad used to put it, 'I don't know how you're still alive breathing through that thing.' What's the opposite of prominent, because it's that. Whatever that is.
Coastal is expensive and filled with mostly ugly designer frames.
I chose 2 glasses from EyeBuy Direct. Grand total - $105 dollars. See the frames below. Sunglasses first, and another pair of glasses after.

Feels good. And another thing checked off the list.
Have you ever bought glasses online? Anything I missed?

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment