Sunday, October 5, 2014

14 ways to make yourself miserable

I think (re: hope) that everyone works through these.
It's a good reminder of how to pull out of a spiral.

My top 3 in no particular order:
1. Be afraid, be very afraid, of economic loss. This one is especially relevant for me as I'm quitting a job, getting rid of health insurance, and heading off into the great unemployed unknown. I'm switching lanes and redefining what I find successful. It's not easy in our culture of more is more, and success is things. Just know that it's not easy, but a necessary leap. I still think of what I could be missing out on, and what it might look like when/if I come back.
3. Give yourself a negative identity. Allow a perceived emotional problem to absorb all other aspects of your self-identification. If you feel depressed, become a Depressed Person; if you suffer from social anxiety or a phobia, assume the identity of a Phobic Person or a Person with Anxiety Disorder. Make your condition the focus of your life. Talk about it to everybody, and make sure to read up on the symptoms so you can speak about them knowledgeably and endlessly. Practice the behaviors most associated with that condition, particularly when it’ll interfere with regular activities and relationships. Focus on how depressed you are and become weepy, if that’s your identity of choice. I have been 'growing' a lot in the past year. Now is the time that I choose how happy I get to be, and what Rachel I choose to be to the world. I know that I have all parts of my personality - including someone that is allowed to be sad. What I am not is a 'sad' person. Year 29 is my year!
11. Ruminate. Spend a great deal of time focused on yourself. Worry constantly about the causes of your behavior, analyze your defects, and chew on your problems. This will help you foster a pessimistic view of your life. Don’t allow yourself to become distracted by any positive experience or influence. The point is to ensure that even minor upsets and difficulties appear huge and portentous. It's not all about me. I think that this is why I bike. It's my time to meditate, and 'ride it out'. After all of this, I feel better/clearer/calmer.


And for your viewing pleasure, here are some kickass spirals

No comments:

Post a Comment