Friday, October 3, 2014

Finding a Through Line

I wandered around the internet this past weekend.

I found a career coaching website called Create As Folk

There's a great post about putting together your disparate experiences into one trajectory. She calls it a 'through line'. Often the things that seem random and disjointed have a commonality.

Using herself as an example

So far, I’ve had two main careers: acting and coaching. I’ve also done some teaching here and there, and that’s purpose-driven to me, so we’ll throw that into the mix. For me, what do acting, coaching, and teaching have in common? What do I give to these careers, and what do they give to me?
The through-lines for me are collaboration, community, inciting change, and being part of creating marvelous things.

When you can articulate your through-line, not only will you feel a bit relieved, but it will be easier to explain to friends, clients, or employers about your changin’ heart.

The externals of your careers may have changed, but the core, the through-line, has remained the same.
The other benefit to this is that if we can find the purpose-driven through line from our previous experiences, then it can give us some idea of what to steer for going forward.
Thoughts?
-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment